Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Harmony central

Share your custom Gaia patches here! Download new Gaia patches here!

Harmony central

Postby oxygen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:04 pm

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... oland-Gaia

If you have all day you can get past the raving loonies and find little bits of interesting discussions
oxygen

Re: Harmony central

Postby ArthurDent » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Yeah, some decent types like Bernard and Cresshead on that thread. Lots of Gaia haters, though. :roll:
ArthurDent

Postby Rigil » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:18 am

A handy newsgroup to check, as they used to frequently trawl youtube for new Gaia videos. Less so recently.....
Rigil

Postby rob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:43 pm

I think I posted in there advertising this forum as a place ot get away from all the useless comments about why the Gaia is a toy! I don't understand why people posting in there have so much hatred for an instrument. Especially over things like what material the casing is made out of! To me, an instrument is a tool to help me be creative, rather than a contestant in an authenticity/coolness competition! :D
rob

Postby Mathlar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 am

I think the whiners in there moan for a few reasons:
- a few of them in there forget the price of the instrument they're moaning about (the endless comparisons with top-end synths costing several £k)
- a few are jealous about the feature set for the price of the instrument and about the fact that Roland have actually made a decent interface that makes it easier to use than a Microkorg or Miniak
- a few geniuinely don't like the sound
- a few others hate Roland so much (combined with the fact that this synth supposedly recycles a lot of the VA technology of recent years), that they'll whinge about any Roland tech.
Mathlar

Postby Hold the Line! » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:02 pm

True, true.

Let me say that I'm not a particular fan of Roland (well, I'm not interested in the new Fantom/Juno/VIMA etc. stuff, though I'd like to try the V-Synth; however I like the D-50 and other similar products).

As Mathlar pointed out, I bought the GAIA because of the low price and the interface. I don't want to spend too much money on a Nord Lead/Wave or even a Virus or Prophet, cuz I have a PC3 with a great synth (VA-1) engine. But on the PC3 the programming is a bit more complicated, so for quick making of sounds the GAIA is far better. And I really like quite a lot of its sounds (especially pads, fx ...), though for more powerful lead and synth sounds the PC3 wins - if you take your time and do everything via display and soft buttons.

Bottom line, I like this instrument very much. Low price, great interface, good effects, overall decent sound.
Hold the Line!

Return to Gaia Patches