Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Roland Alpha Juno 1 and Gaia

Talk about anything related to the Roland Gaia.

Roland Alpha Juno 1 and Gaia

Postby verve92 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:45 am

I'm a new to synth guy at 39 and have played music for 10 years as a semi-pro. Gaia was my first synth, knowing what it does well- teaching synth. I found the others in the price range too dependent on menu's or not that much better sounding for more money. The next best thing for me is real analog and came across the 1985 Juno 1 and it works great with the Gaia. I like doing slow manual filter changes while playing lead on Juno which has brassy DCO's. Fast envelopes that give an attack not capable of even high end VA's but only 8 voice polyphany to the Gaia'a 64.
Point is make your gear work for you. The only limits of imagination is imagining it can be limited.
verve92

Re: Roland Alpha Juno 1 and Gaia

Postby Rigil » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Nearly bought one myself, but instead picked up a really good condition Roland D50. Almost, virtual analogue but with a very small amount of sampled pcm at the beginning of each note.
I found a really useful library editor program http://www.d50librarian.co.uk/, which makes editing a lot easier via computer.

Still fancy adding an alpha juno 2 to my set-up. Maybe you can answer a couple of my questions.
How easy is it to edit and create new patches on the alpha-juno 1 ?
Do you use a computer editor?
What is the build quality like ?
Rigil

Re: Roland Alpha Juno 1 and Gaia

Postby Rigil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:00 am

Got a near perfect Alpha Juno 2 earlier this year. Nice bass sounds and easy to program using the BCR2000. Well worth the wait.
Unfortunately, the aftertouch is not good and despite having taken the synth apart, I gave up trying to improve this feature.
Rigil

Return to General Discussion