Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Newbie Help?

Talk about anything related to the Roland Gaia.

Newbie Help?

Postby tomsk » Thu May 19, 2011 9:21 am

Hi all,
I've just joined the forum. I'm a guitarist and just bought my first ever Synth - the Gaia! I've bought it as I'm fascinated in the ability to make my own sounds, but as a newbie, I'm not sure where to start. I've looked at some vids on synthesis, but wondered if anyone could point me to a good resource for how to make basic sounds?
I'm looking for simple recipes for how to make a pad, strings, bell, lead sounds etc. that show what wave to use what ADSR settings, LFO settings etc. Just to give me an understanding of how to make the basic sounds with the basic building blocks.
Can anyone help?
Tom
tomsk

Re: Newbie Help?

Postby nexgen101 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:11 pm

nexgen101

Postby tomsk » Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks NextGen, they are useful.
Whilst searching I found this as well:
http://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make-a-noise
It gives you the chance to download the book free of charge, aparently this is the first edition, the second edition is for sale on Amazon, but the first is now free to download in electronic format.
I've just started looking at it, so hopefully that will help too.
What I would find useful is just a straightforward table list of basic sounds & the OSC, LFO, AMP settings to get somewhere near them as starting blocks.
tomsk

Postby rodan » Sat May 21, 2011 4:12 am

Hey man,

Since you said you play a guitar you may not be interested in it, but the book the dance music manual has a ton of information on synthesis. All the way from the science of synthesis up to how to create a ton of different sounds. It tells what different waveforms are generally useful for and it provides other tips on mixing your music and sounds. I highly recommend it!
rodan

Postby dab777 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 am

http://www.rolandus.com/support/ Here is some good stuff at the website for beginners for the GAIA specifically
dab777

Postby tomsk » Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks dab,
That was a good link, I went to the GAIA support page & there is a guidebook download on there which takes you through creating basic sounds such as bass, pad, wind etc. :P
tomsk

Return to General Discussion