Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Wobble bass?

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Wobble bass?

Postby lemons » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:15 pm

While I enjoy working with the Gaia a lot, I'm having difficulty creating a really satisfying wobble bass with it, similar to what you can hear in many dubstep tunes.

It seems the LFO is a bit "slow" for this type of sound. Maybe Gaia is just not suited to that particular type of sound very well (though it does many other kinds very well), but if anyone disagrees with me, please share your tips on how to create such a sound with Gaia, I'd like to learn!
lemons

Re: Wobble bass?

Postby gaiaadmin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:00 pm

Could you post a link to a youtube video that has the Sound you're looking for? Maybe I can try to replicate it and let you know how I make out.
gaiaadmin
Site Admin

Postby lemons » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:23 am

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83kWjzgNbNA (at about 55 seconds and a different wobble at about 1:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePinqNBW5eU (starts at about 47 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-aeLS5M ... re=related (a bit different bass line but difficult to recreate as well :))
lemons

Postby rob » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:29 pm

Great tones, this is just like the big bass tone that Deadmau5 is using intheir new single, Raise Your Weapon.This seems like it's totally suited for the Gaia.

I have a gig tonight :D , but will see if I can try one of these out tomorrow and let you know what I find out. I think my approach will be to run the filter through the lfo with the fade time up a 1/4 or so.

I'll let you know what I find out.
rob

Postby rob » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Ok, I think I've got the basics of it down. Checkout my youtube on it:

1. I started with an initialized patch
2. Set the amp for a straight on/off
3. Adjusted the pitch down for bass
4. Changed the tone using the filter
5. Added an lfo on the filter and adjusted the speed
6. Added a fade on the lfo so that it didn't come in until shortly after I hit the note

With more time you could adjust the tone of this to suit dub quite nicely I think!
rob

Postby Rigil » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I had a go at creating a wobble bass and have posted three early attempts in the patches section.

See what you think.

Rigil
Rigil

Postby Isturite » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 pm

It's really pretty simple... I don't own one yet, but I play with it a lot at guitar center and am planning to get one once I get enough $$... but I make dubstep all day so it's 2nd nature to me

You will need 3 osc's... saw/square, and one sine (for the sub)

I like to use a saw at -1 octave, and a square at 0 octave... then the sine at either -1 or -2 depending on how low of notes you are playing.

osc1- saw (down 1 octave)
osc2- square
osc3- sine (down 1 or 2 octaves)
filter- LP - cutoff 40-90%, resonance 0-50%
Lfo- filter

add some distortion, maybe some chorus or bitcrusher, or detune the saw and square by a few cents, turn on the bass boost... I get really nice wobbles out of it when i run it through a guitar distortion pedal

here's some of my dubstep projects, give them a listen : )
soundcloud.com/isturite
Isturite

Postby rob » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Great description, I'm going to try it out tonight. Cool tracks too!
rob

Return to Technical Talk