Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Advice on recording with Gaia?

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Advice on recording with Gaia?

Postby ocguitar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:45 am

Hey, thanks for the message board. I just picked up a Gaia recently and I figured I'd see how other people use it to record. I want to mix it with acoustic instruments like classical guitar. I'm using a Tascam US-144 MkII interface, plugging the Gaia into the L/R line ins, and I'm going to use Ableton Live on my laptop. Is there a better way to go about this?
ocguitar

Re: Advice on recording with Gaia?

Postby Rigil » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:36 am

That's a good way, if you are not using the usb cable. However, if you use the usb interface you can record direct through that. The only drawback is that the level is not overly high. However, there is very little chance of input distortion into Ableton.
Rigil

Postby Grauw » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:13 am

Yeah through USB the entire audio path should be digital.
Grauw

Postby ocguitar » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:57 am

Ohh, I didn't realize I could do that. Very cool.
ocguitar

Postby rodan » Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 am

So does this mean that there should be no latency from when your sequencer plays a note to the gaia and when you hear the actual sound? How do you go about doing this in your DAW? Im using flstudio, do I need to change the audio interface I am using every time to the sh-01's out in order to record it into my daw? Sorry Im just a little confused at how to record the audio in with the usb cable. The way Im recording now is through a mixer into the line in of my sound card, but if there is an easier way to bring the audio into my daw and not have to change the interface im using every time that would be awesome!
rodan

Postby Rigil » Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm

When you install the software that comes with the Gaia, it shows up like an additional soundcard in your list of inputs and outputs.
Also, it displays as a separate midi in/out as well.

Latency, in my experience with the synth, has not been noticeable.
Rigil

Postby tomsk » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Rigil,
I've been trying the GAIA as audio input via USB to my DAW, and found the same, that the output level from the GAIA is bery low.
I've looked through the manual but can't see anytjing on how to increase the output vol from the GAIA, is there a way to do it??
tomsk

Postby Simulacruw » Tue May 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Right this moment, I'm sitting with my Gaia hooked up to my computer via USB. I'm using Cubase 5, and I've installed the SH-01 driver from Rolandus.com. I've created a MIDI track, and it responds to me playing the GAIA (choosing SH-01 as Midi in and Midi out busses). I've also tried using VST synths and controlling them with the GAIA. It works fine. In order to send the midi data back to the GAIA and to actually get the GAIA sounds into my DAW, I used jacks from the gaia to my soundcard.

It seems to work fine. I can record MIDI and play them back through the GAIA while tweaking the sounds. The only problem is that it seems that some notes on the gaia seems to lose their signals. I've created a few patches myself, which I like. One of them is a Marimba/wooden xylophone kind og sound. When playing this through cubase, some of the notes seem to have lower, weaker and almost a different sound than the others. As if certain frequencies don't respond very well when I'm playing through Midi and cubase. However, when I'm just playing the gaia through a usual Audio track, this problem never occurs. Has anyone else bumped into this problem?
Simulacruw

Postby Rigil » Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 pm

tomsk wrote:Rigil,
can't see anytjing on how to increase the output vol from the GAIA, is there a way to do it??

I certainly haven't found a way to increase the volume apart from normalising the recorded wav to bring up the volume. However, I don't like doing that so I tend to use a compressor/limiter 'plug in' which improves the volume.
Another way to increase the volume is to record from the audio outputs, but then of course the signal will not be quite as clean.
Rigil

Postby tomsk » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

Just got this back from Roland Support, so I guess I'll use the audio line outs instead of USB:

Hello Tom,

There isn't a separate usb level setting. What you might try doing is to make sure the Master Level is set to its hightest setting. Page 51 of the owners manual shows how to adjust this level. If this doesn't help you may have to use the regular outputs running through an external audio interface with gain control.
Sincerely,
Roland US Product Support
M-F 7:30am-5:00pm Pacific Time
323-890-3740
tomsk

Next

Return to Technical Talk