Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Gaia Usb Audio

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Gaia Usb Audio

Postby rodan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I am planning on purchasing the Roland Gaia next paycheck as I find it extremely fun to use and I love the sound. I had a question though that I can't seem to find the answer to on the web. Hopefully you guys can answer it for me. I was just wondering what latency is like using the USB connection to your DAW to transmit audio. Is there a major latency delay created when sending midi data to the gaia and back to the daw software. IE will the latency be enough that I cannot record the gaia with drums without hearing the delay in playback?

Thanks!
rodan

Re: Gaia Usb Audio

Postby Rigil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm

I tried to think of a simple way to do this and in the end came up with this idea.

In my DAW (Reaper) I created a few bars of midi at 120bpm and drew a series of short midi notes, spaced evenly.

Then I output this via the 'usb midi' connection to the GAIA which was set up with a single oscillator square wave patch.

At the same time that this was playing I recorded the GAIA audio via the usb connection back into the DAW.

This is the visual result and there seems to be no latency that can be noticed. It's rather strange that the recorded audio appears to be slightly ahead of the midi. I am led to question that the DAW latency compensation is in fact causing this effect.

In conclusion, I have not yet run up against any latency issues with the GAIA. I run XP on an intel core 2 1.86GHz processor. Maybe other users on the group can add to this.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
latency test.jpg
latency test.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
Rigil

Postby rodan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Wow that's pretty impressive, ive tried the same thing with other synths (recording directly in to my sound card with midi out on the software) and have gotten major latency. Your results look really impressive. So either reaper has awesome latency compensation or the gaia has a really low latency audio interface built in. Thanks for the detailed response. Either way i purchased a small mixer so I should be able to avoid latency issues.

Thanks for your help.
rodan

Postby oxygen » Sat May 07, 2011 3:55 pm

oxygen

Postby Rigil » Sun May 08, 2011 10:46 am

That was an interesting article. Thanks for posting the link.
Rigil

Return to Technical Talk