Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Dealing with Settings

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Dealing with Settings

Postby AZCraig » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:44 am

I'm frustrated with the GAIA. If I change from Tone A to Tone B, there is no way to tell what all the sliders and dials are set to for B.
How are the rest of you dealing with this ?

This is making me want to sell the GAIA and get an UltraNova.
AZCraig

Re: Dealing with Settings

Postby Rigil » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 am

I think the new Roland Gaia editor software will solve this problem as it appears to display the settings for each tone separately at the same time.
Rigil

Postby Grauw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 am

You can also see the values in the GAIA tool, it’s not yet nicely presented visually though. Is this functionality you would like? I could spend some time on showing slider controls for tone values etc. instead of the current numeric values.

Also in the current released version not all controls are correctly synced yet, so press the reload button to make sure you have up-to-date values. (I could release a point release which correctly syncs all controls if there is demand for it.)

But normally I don’t really use the tool for that, I either recall the position from memory, or else turn the control and find the position by hearing.
Grauw

Postby Rigil » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes, I discovered that last week when I was creating a new patch and some how forgot to sync. Patch was lost, but fortunately I quickly recalled what I did and recreated it pretty well.

Haven't done it since, now I have learnt about it. 8-)
Rigil

Postby Grauw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh, that sucks.

Maybe I should add a dialog to ask you if you want to reload all settings from the GAIA before saving?
Grauw

Postby Grauw » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Actually I can do something more user-friendly; automatically re-load the patch settings in the background and compare it with the local values. If they differ, show a dialog asking what to do.

Although I improved the sync much, unfortunately I can’t be 100% sure it’s in sync, e.g. if you select a different arpeggio it doesn’t notify me of that.
Grauw

Postby Rigil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Each time you add another program function, it becomes easier and more friendly to use. Thanks ...
Rigil

Return to Technical Talk