Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

MIDI issues with DAW software

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

MIDI issues with DAW software

Postby thumbthimg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey all.

I'm having trouble using my Gaia within SonarX1 as I can only get it play one sound patch at a time.

I've recorded something on MIDI channel 1, Patch A1 (for example) then recorded something else on MIDI channel 2 with a different patch but I can only ever hear the sounds from whatever MIDI channel I've got the GAIA set to!?!? (you know, the whole 'Cancel'+'VLink' & hold 'VLink' followed by one of the number buttons)

Am I being a complete amateur, just missing something simple or (heaven forbid) is just not possible to play back multiple MIDI channels with the SH-01?

I can't find out how to turn Omni on anywhere and would using MIDI in & out help as apposed to using USB?

Any ideas or suggestions?
thumbthimg

Re: MIDI issues with DAW software

Postby Grauw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:08 pm

The Gaia is not multitimbral, so yeah, it can only play back on one channel. The other channels can play back GM PCM sounds, but no synth. So if you want to combine multiple channels you’ll have to play back each channel separately, record the audio and then mix them together.

There may be a small loophole to achieve multitimbrality; you could try to enable patch remain, and then switch quickly between different patches, playing a note on each. However this precludes the use of the effects section, as patch remain does not work well with that. Also sending MIDI in this manner is certainly not a standard feature in editors. And I’m not sure whether it will actually work :).
Grauw

Re: MIDI issues with DAW software

Postby thumbthimg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am

Multitimbral! That's the word for it, thank you. ;)
Cheers for reply.
I must admit to being a little disappointed at the news. I was obviously taken in by the 64 voice polyphony but I'm still glad I chose the Gaia over the JunoDi.
Many thanks.
thumbthimg

Return to Technical Talk