Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

My USB needs help !

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

My USB needs help !

Postby Le Cosmonaute » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi everyone !

Had a lil' problem today with my Gaia...

I have bought one of these switchable usb hub and received it today.

So i linked it to my Gaia with usb keys on. Nothing happens... Tried again and again... Nothing !

Anyway, i now wanna insert one of my usb key and... nothing happens !!!

Since i inserted this f*ck*ng hub the Gaia doesn't read my usb keys at all... The usb memory button doesn't even light...

I tried a factory reset hoping everything would be like before but... NO !

Has anyone experienced the same problem ? Has one of you a solution to recover my usb memory port ?

Thanks in anticipation !!!
Le Cosmonaute

Re: My USB needs help !

Postby Grauw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Hearing this I fear that the USB port may be broken. It sounds very much like the switchable usb hub is faulty and sent power on the wrong wires. This can easily destroy an USB port, you should not connect the hub again.

What you should try is to get an USB stick that you haven’t used on the hub, and try to connect it to the Gaia. If it works, you’re in luck; the USB sticks are broken but the Gaia’s USB port is still intact. If not, you’ll have to send the Gaia in for repairs.

Either way, I would hold the shop that sold you the USB hub (and/or the manufacturer) accountable for the damage.

p.s. You should double-check the hub’s manual whether you connected the hub right; USB connectors ought to use different plugs that prevent you from accidentally plugging it in the wrong way, but sometimes you hear about a faulty peripheral design which does not use this safeguard into account, and the result can be broken USB ports. Still, it would be their fault and you’re not to blame for that.
Grauw

Re: My USB needs help !

Postby Le Cosmonaute » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:32 am

Bonjour !

And thanks for your message.

I've just come back from my retailer.

My Gaia has to be sent for repair to Roland... It will take about three weeks to get it back... It's only three months old so everything is still under guaranty.

I think i will never ever use switchable hubs again !!! I'd rather buy another Gaia so i can use up to 4 soundbanks... I'm in touch with a guy who's about to sell his mint one at the very good price of 350 euros... No hesitation here !

Thanks again for reading and helping !

Le Cosmonaute
Le Cosmonaute

Return to Technical Talk