Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Is Changing the frequency of A4 Possible?

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Is Changing the frequency of A4 Possible?

Postby Orxris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi,

sorry if the title is unclear, couldn't really word it in a short sentence. A4 = 440Hz, but is it possible to change A4 to equal 616Hz? It's a big jump I know, but i'm just curious. I've been mucking around with Grauw's free tool and cant find anything that will do it. Does that mean it can't?

Thanks,

Orxris
Orxris

Re: Is Changing the frequency of A4 Possible?

Postby Grauw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 pm

The manual is your best bet, it’s very complete. On page 51 you’ll find the “Master tune” setting which can set A4’s frequency to a range from 415.30 to 466.20 Hz.

To go outside that range I guess you’ll have to adjust your patches to that frequency using the tone oscillator pitch and detune settings. If I’m not mistaking, changing the pitch to +6 semitones and detune to -17 cents (totalling 583 cents) ought to achieve that. You can inspect the exact values in the Gaia tool as you adjust the knobs.
Grauw

Re: Is Changing the frequency of A4 Possible?

Postby Orxris » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Cheers, It worked perfectly. The Gaia tool allowed me to get the exact values I needed. I'll keep the manual close to hand in future too.

Orxris
Orxris

Return to Technical Talk