Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Remote Keyboard

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Remote Keyboard

Postby CesarD » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:13 am

I turned this setting on to make the notes sent from my DAW Sonar X1 to the GAIA be handled the same way s if played on the keyboard. It works in allowing arpeggios to play, but I was hoping it would also do exactly that, and play the notes exactly as if struck on the keyboard, but it doesn't. For example, when I tweak knobs for a program, say LPF and Resondance, if I strike a key on the GAIA, I hear the change. But if I press "play" on my DAW to trigger the note via MIDI, it completely resets the program to as though no knob tweaks were made... Frustrating.

Is this a MIDI sync thing? Timeclock thing? Sysx signal thing? It stinks because it means I have to retweak all changes every time I press play in my DAW. How do I stop my DAW from transmitting this full wipe of changes every time I press play? Probably a DAW software Q, but one of you may know the general concept or the right type of setting to look for.

Any help is appreciated.
CesarD

Re: Remote Keyboard

Postby Grauw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Hmm, all changes you make are stored permanently in the temporary patch, so in order to revert it it must send a program change message at the start, causing the temporary patch to be overwritten.

Did you accidentally record that on the MIDI track? You can try changing the GAIA’s Rx Program Change and Rx Bank Select settings to OFF (see manual page 53), if that helps then your DAW is probably sending one.

Another possibility is that your DAW recorded all your edits’ sysex messages. That would have been possible if the Tx Edit Data setting is on and you were recording while tweaking those settings. That seems less likely though since you say they get reset right at the start when you press play, and also it would not cause a full patch reset.
Grauw

Re: Remote Keyboard

Postby rodan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 pm

This happens to my gaia as well, it drives me absolutely crazy. I wonder if it has something to do with grauws thoughts (the rx program change). I am going to mess with this tonight. If you figured out how to fix it CesarD you should let me know! Thanks.
rodan

Return to Technical Talk