Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Recording with Sony Acid Music Studio 8.0 Trial Edition.

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Recording with Sony Acid Music Studio 8.0 Trial Edition.

Postby blackbutterfly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 am

Hello,
I am new on this site. Lot`s of smart people on this site. I just got a Gaia SH-01, I wanted to record with it using Sony Acid Music Studio 8.0 Trial Edition. When I record (using a USB connection) a midi track I can hear playback on the Gaia, however, I cannot hear the playback on my laptop. I`m getting a few grey hairs on this one. I am thinking maybe it`s the Trial Edition, limited capabilities or something is wrong with some settings or the keyboard its self. I really would appreciate help on this one. Thank you, and have yourself a great day.
blackbutterfly

Re: Recording with Sony Acid Music Studio 8.0 Trial Edition.

Postby Grauw » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Hmm, did you select the right input channel in Acid Music Studio? IN 2- SH-01 it’s called on my machine. Also you can try to make it the default input device… On Windows 7, right-click on the speaker icon in the task bar, select recording devices, then right-click the SH-01 input and select set as default device. Also there you can press the properties button and on the listen tab check the listen to this device box. Maybe that helps :).
Grauw

Postby blackbutterfly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Thank you for the reply. I do hear sound through the Gaia and I see the MIDI recording on Acid Music studio. I can playback and hear it on the Gaia with headphones. However, I did go into sound devices tried a few things, still no sound coming out of the computer. I do have Enable Real-Time MIDI enabled.
This Sony Acid Music Studio 8.0 is a trial edition. However, before I buy it I want to make sure I can hear the MIDI playback from Acid Music Studio coming out of my computer speakers. There is a render option on Acid that is disabled because it is a trial version. Do I have to purchase the software to render the MIDI recording to be able to hear it on my laptop?

Poor Somali Children in Africa, 400,000 are facing starvation. I would like to create music to create awareness to drive less, less pollution. There is no water there to grow food.

I really appreciate your last reply. God bless. Peace.
blackbutterfly

Postby blackbutterfly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:40 pm

I read on the net, that if I render the MIDI recording into a .wav format I will be able to hear it.

Is this true?

If, it is I will go ahead and buy Sony Acid Music Studio 8.0 as long as it works well with the Gaia SH-01.

Have a great day.
blackbutterfly

Postby Grauw » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey,

No, the MIDI is useless unless you replay it on the GAIA, it won’t sound the same at all when rendered by your PC.

If the GAIA is connected properly though USB it should act as a sound source, and you should be able to hear the sound from your computer without any kind of special software, you can even record it using the (super bare-bones simple) Windows audio recording program. Did you install the drivers? Alternatively you can connect it to your computer’s line in connection through a regular analog cable to do the recording.

Also, if you’re looking for affordable audio recording software, try Reaper. The trial version is full-featured.
Grauw

Postby blackbutterfly » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Excellent Advice,

I am trying out Reaper and it responds to the Gaia SH-01, I can hear playback on my laptop.

I tried phoning Sony they just re-directed me to e-mail support, nice eh? Unprofessional...

Reaper is cool,

By the way my laptop is in Japanese. So, that is why I am having a bit of difficulty with the sound devices.

However, Reaper seems to be working well.

Thank you for your help. All the best to you and your family.

Black Butterfly
blackbutterfly

Postby Grauw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:28 am

Glad to hear you got it working!
Grauw

Return to Technical Talk