Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Free Gaia Tool

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Free Gaia Tool

Postby gaiaadmin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:45 am

Just came across an independant project to build a tool for reading your GAIA patch settings from your PC. Check it out:
http://www.grauw.nl/projects/gaia-tool/
gaiaadmin
Site Admin

Re: Free Gaia Tool

Postby Grauw » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey,

I just released a new version of the tool, version 0.1.0. It is now possible to edit arpeggios, tracker-style!

That’s a first for the GAIA :).

GAIA tool project page
Grauw

Postby boovy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:00 pm

thanks a lot ! i use this tool now , good work :D
boovy

Postby elpiulas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi, thanks for you effort!! Im very interested in this tool. I use an iMac Core i3 win my new Gaia. I tryin your app, and seems to communicate gaia-imac. The programs tells me in the lower windows every parameter when I tweak for example cutoff or press any key. But when I try to edit or view the parameters of any patch the fields are empty!!

Sorry, I don't speak/write English very well.

Thanks
elpiulas

Postby Grauw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey elpiulas,

Yeah I got a similar report from another Mac user. It seems the GAIA somehow doesn’t respond to the data requests that I send. It is supposed to look like the screenshots here.

Could you do me a favour and send me an email (address here) or private message with the contents of the log panel at the bottom after selecting a couple of things in the tree on the left (e.g. patch common and arpeggios)? Maybe from that I can derive the cause of the problem.
Grauw

Postby pez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 am

Hey Grauw, has anybody sent you what you need to fix the problem? I'm really diggin' what you're doing for us mate, and unfortunately I get the same problem. If there's anything you need, just let me know. I'd be glad to help you out :)
pez

Postby Grauw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Hey pez, yeah, elpiulas is testing some things out for me.
Grauw

Postby elpiulas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Hello, I have a MAC and the GaiaTools does not work properly. But my latest tests I run the program under Parallels inside OSX. This way the tool works perfectly. You have to install the USB driver for windows of course. I have installed Windows XP SP3.

This is for all MAC users to confirm that the tool works under Parallels Destktop for MAC.

Bye..

Alberto.
Barcelona.
elpiulas

Mac OS X compatibility

Postby Grauw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey,

Regarding the mentioned Mac OS X problems, I found this:

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 1 (Dec.3rd 2009) changes things in terms of JVM midi support. With this update the world's most advanced operating system does not need a third party Midi service provider like mmj for javax.sound.midi to access hardware anymore. Here is Apple's release notes, see Radar #3261490 under JavaSound.

Second: You may still want it, though
Apple's java Midi implementation appears a bit half-hearted. It does not consider MIDI data with status bytes >= 0xF0 to be valid (i.e. does not work with sysex, MIDI clock, timecode etc.), ignores timestamps on Midi events, device names will default to only the port's name (without hints on the device this port belongs to) and there may be other things missing alike.

And those mentioned issues with status bytes sound an awful lot like the problem Mac users are experiencing. So the solution may be to install this:

http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm

Follow the instructions in the readme.txt inside. An alternative that seems to do the same:

http://www.mandolane.co.uk/swMandoMidi.html

Please try it, and let us know if it helps or not.
Grauw

Postby pez » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks Grauw!

Hopefully I can try it our tonight.. You rock dude!! ;)
pez

Next

Return to Technical Talk