Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Free Gaia Tool

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Re: Free Gaia Tool

Postby Rigil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Next request must be tempo syncing and being able to specify bpm.

I know it's asking a lot, but your free editor is doing an excellent job.
Rigil

Postby Grauw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:30 pm

“Occasionally it locks” — oh hm really? That’s not supposed to happen. If you find something reproducible or possible causes (like after long use or something?), let me know.

Ah bpm, yes good one almost forgot about that :), that’s probably convenient. What do you mean with tempo syncing? Syncing to what?
Grauw

Postby Rigil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:03 pm

I will try to find a scenario which can be reproduced each time and send you the info.
I bought a powered usb hub to eradicate the problem, as at first I thought that might be causing the problem.

I will switch to normal midi and see if the same thing occurs.

Regarding the tempo (BPM) syncing, I was referring to the feature of allowing the DAW software to control the BPM of the Gaia. I have done this before using a key press routine to allow an external device to take control. It just would be so much easier if there was a button which allowed the DAW to gain control of the BPM and clock on Gaia.

So if for instance, I were playing a softsynth using an arpeggiator patch, it would play in sync with an arpeggiator patch on the Gaia. Perhaps, the Gaia could be the master keyboard.
Rigil

Postby Grauw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I think you can do that, if you look on page 52 of the manual, set ‘clock source’ to MIDI or USB, if that’s what you mean…
Grauw

Postby Grauw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:37 am

For the Mac people:

I tried it in a virtual machine, and I got it to work using the MMJ library. If I drop the mmj.jar and libmmj.jnilib files in Mac/Library/Java/Extensions, the tool works perfectly on Mac!

Also installing Mandolane MIDI SPI made it work for me. If someone could confirm these findings I’ll add some text to the project page with Mac installation instructions.

Edit: I added some Mac OS X installation notes to the projects page.
Grauw

Postby Grauw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:50 pm

I released version 0.2.1. Only two small changes:

• Patch tempo editing
  • Remember load/save dialog location
Numeric patch tempo editing is also a feature that has not been available for the GAIA before.

Get it here: http://www.grauw.nl/projects/gaia-tool/
Grauw

Postby Rigil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 pm

Tried the new version,perfect for saving the tempo with the patch.

Thanks for the speedy update.
Rigil

Postby hstudio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Congratulations!!
Tks for the wonderful tool!!
Blessings

Sidney Ribeiro - Brazil
hstudio

Postby Rigil » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Laurens,

Here are another couple of ideas for your excellent editor program.

1.Another window displaying all of the patches that are saved. One which is displayed all of the time and not just during the saving and loading operation.
I am now getting lots of patches and it would be great to display them on the edit window all of the time. It would be handy to double click on a patch to load it in. I guess it's too difficult just to be able to drag and drop files into the patch window to save automatically.

2.When naming a patch for the first time and then saving it, the name defaults to 'patch-temporary.gai'. Is it possible for the editor to remember the name of the new patch and insert that into the save file name instead ?

Thanks for all the great work you have done. :P
Rigil

Postby Grauw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am

Hey Rigil,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was already working on some kind of library functionality, I was thinking to make a special directory at either User/<name>/GAIA or User/<name>/Documents/GAIA, where all patches inside would be shown in a Library section in tree on the left. So that I could make a GAIA/Rigil folder and dump all your patches there :).

Have any suggestions for the location of this folder? Is Documents appropriate? Also maybe I should name it “GAIA Library” instead of just GAIA? (Or GAIA/Library? What about capitalisation, Gaia or GAIA? I don’t think I should call it “GAIA Tool”.) Also for now I was thinking of making a right-click menu ‘copy to temporary patch’ function, but maybe I could also add double-clicking or drag and drop.

The only big problem with a library is that, I can’t copy directly from the library into the GAIA’s patches. Or rather I can, but the GAIA will forget everything once you turn it off! I’m not sure how to deal with that. Do you think it is needed at all? At home you could just load them directly from the tool into the temporary patch, and for performances you could export a patch set to an SVD file (once I reverse-engineered the file format) on an USB stick.

Also 2 I can do.
Grauw

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk