Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Tron Legacy Soundtrack

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Tron Legacy Soundtrack

Postby peanutismint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:26 am

I'm loving the soundtrack to the new Tron film at the moment - have been trying to re-create some of the sounds using the Gaia. Actually I've just been finding presets that sound similar and then tweaking them a bit to sound more like the recording! :)

For instance, the sounds from these tracks:
<- Great trumpetty/stringy sounds in this
<-- kinda plucked string arpeggios and analogue basslines - mmmmm!
<--- LOVE the electric lead in this song!! Can hopefully program this as an arpeggio if I ever get the Gaia tool to work on my Mac! :)

Anyone else fancy having a go at making some sounds?!
peanutismint

Re: Tron Legacy Soundtrack

Postby peanutismint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:30 am

Here's my attempt at the arpeggio line from 'Son Of Flynn':

peanutismint

Postby Rigil » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:41 am

The second and third clips sound as though they can be programmed on the gaia. The first clip could be using pcm samples, so I'm not sure how easy that would be.

You have done a good job with the arpeggio line from 'Son of Flyn', might be hard to top that.
Will have a go at your challenge though and post the result. That is, if i get anything that is listenable.

Is the film any good?
Rigil

Postby JefCostello » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 am

Great job, the arpeggio line sounds awesome. I've really gotta learn how to manipulate the Arpeggiator.
This definitely makes me want to play more with my GAIA.

Would you be willing to tell how you got there?

PS: The film was more than entertaining, the action and special effects were awesome, and the story was well...Tron (Can't get too much realism or logic from there). It does get a bit slow towards the ending and it is kinda weird and lacking explanation, but there are many memorable scenes (End of Line and Derezzed song's scenes) that would definitely get me to watch again. Also, watch it in 3d. It's so worth it for this film.
JefCostello

Postby peanutismint » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks; yeah I really enjoyed the film - I was a big fan of the original as a kid so was quite aprehensive of a 'sequel' but great music, great sound production, great visuals - one of those films that's just fun to 'watch' without really caring if the plotline/acting is good! :)

To get the arpeggio I just found one of the preset patches (can't remember which off the top of my head - sorry!) that sounded like a plucked string and then I think I added reverb, delay, tweaked the amp envelope a bit.... There wasn't an arpeggio line in the keyboard that fit correctly (and I can't get that Gaia Tool to work on my Mac yet!! :)) so I just sequenced this in my DAW, Reaper.

Wish there was a quick way for users to take a 'snapshot' of their Gaia controls and transfer them to computer to share a single patch.... maybe one day there will be!
peanutismint

Postby Grauw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Your wish is my command peanut :) viewtopic.php?p=234#p234
Grauw

Return to Technical Talk