Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Thumb drive initialization problems

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Thumb drive initialization problems

Postby Slick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Hello. I recently purchased a Gaia and filled out the questionaire to get the Roland Fisher patches. I have followed the directions in the readme file to install them, but I cannot get the Gaia to initialize my drive. Does it really have to be a Roland USB drive or will any USB 2.0 drive work? I already had a 2GB PNY thumb drive laying around so I thought I would try it before buying anything else new. I insert the drive while powered down and then power on the Gaia while holding down the TONE COPY and USB MEMORY PATCH buttons. The CANCEL and WRITE buttons are supposed to start to blink but only the CANCEL button blinks with mine. Has anybody else experienced this or know what is going on? Please help me so I will know if it is a problem with my Gaia so I can return it while it is covered under warranty. Thanks.
Slick

Re: Thumb drive initialization problems

Postby JefCostello » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:46 pm

I'm not too sure about what could be causing the problem for your USB drive's initialization. I used a Centon cheapo one for mine and worked okay. One thing I did notice in the instructions is you should format the drive to initialize it. I formatted mine in NTSC and the GAIA wouldn't even turn on, but one I re-formatted in Fat 32 everything worked.
JefCostello

Postby Slick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks JefCostello. I will give FAT32 a try. Doing my own research, it said to format in FAT. I will post back and let everybody know if this does the trick.
Slick

Postby Grauw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:59 am

It doesn’t seem to recognise all USB drives.

The first USB stick I got is small but still sticks out a little bit from the back, that one works OK. Then I found a smaller one that doesn’t protrude, but unfortunately that one doesn’t work, the GAIA hangs on start-up with that one plugged in. Same formatting, and no problems accessing either on the PC.

So that’s probably why they recommend the Roland ones, they can’t guarantee that other brands work.
Grauw

Postby Slick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:45 am

It appears that Grauw has hit the nail on the head. I tried formatting with FAT32 and it did not help. My daughter was kind enough to let me use one of her thumb drives. A very cheap 1GB Dane-Elec brand. It worked like a charm. I traded her my 2GB PNY for her 1GB Dane-Elec. It sounds like I got ripped off but whatever works. We are both happy now. Evidently not all USB drives work like Grauw said. It might be cool if any members find a type that does not work to create a list on this forum so others will not have to scratch their heads for a couple hours trying to get something to work that absoultely will not. Mine was a 2GB PNY Attache. Or better yet make a list of known good ones so we will know what to look for when shopping.
Slick

Postby JefCostello » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:11 am

Not having to check which flash drives work on the GAIA is the reason Roland says to use only Roland branded usb drives.

Still, I think it's also an excuse in order to sell people excessively overpriced usb drives.
JefCostello

Postby Slick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:34 am

I know what you mean. I thought I saw the Roland drives were going for $49. I don't think I ever paid much over $8 for one of comparable size. After paying off the Gaia I need to pinch pennies as much as possible for a while. :D
Slick

Postby dab777 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:43 am

I used 2gb sticks I got for about 6-7 a piece. If you just load the ROLAND folder out of the sound download folder it works fine. I did find one kind that never worked but most ive tryed did.
dab777

Return to Technical Talk