Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

NAMM Show special?

I want this to be useful for Gaia users and composers in general. Let's have some feedback, what can we do to make this a more valuable resource?

NAMM Show special?

Postby Richkyd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Roland unveil a list of new kit... Every category except synths? No new synth? Was so hoping for GAIA 2... Sign of the austere times I guess..
Richkyd

Re: NAMM Show special?

Postby samatron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Personally I'm happy about that as I don't want to become dissatisfied with my current kit!
Imagine how gutted SH-201 users were when the Gaia came out...
Love to see a rack version of the V-Synth GT.
I know there's the V-Synth XT rack, but that doesn't have the dual voice engine, nor does it come with vocal designer as standard.
In fact, if a rack version could have a 3 or 4 voice engine and the D-50 card, it would be the best hardware synth on the market.
samatron

Postby Grauw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Probably not that gutted, as based on what I read I think the SH-201 can hold its own pretty well against the Gaia. It has a bigger keyboard, 2-multitimbrality (keyboard split), chorus effect, and even if it does have 1 less oscillator, they do have a sub-oscillator. Also I think it has a different sound, as the underlying technology is different. And the software is free, and includes a librarian.
Grauw

Postby Rigil » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 pm

You are right. I bought a SH201 because I was pleased with the Gaia and wanted something with a larger keyboard + vst editor. It is in perfect condition, cost less than half what I paid for the Gaia and has an excellent usb interface. What's more I can use the filters via the audio input channel to play my older Roland D50 and get some great effects.

Good value for money. Loads of free patches that you can download from the Roland website.

http://www.rolandus.com/go/sh-201_patches/

Don't see anything like that for the Gaia as yet.
Rigil

Return to Suggestions