Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

How Load a Patch

Talk about anything related to the Roland Gaia.

How Load a Patch

Postby nomad103 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Hello. I hope somebody can help me. I'm new to Roland and the GAIA. I'm used to loading .sysex patyches via MIDI Interface so I'm a bit confused. How do I load a patch such as Flute-01.gaia? I need some orchestral sounds and I have patches but I can't get them to play after copying onto a USB stick.
nomad103

Re: How Load a Patch

Postby rodan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:28 pm

There is a certain set up procedure you have to follow for the usb stick. I have to look in the manual every time I need to do it.
rodan

Postby nomad103 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:58 pm

I've followed all the procedures listed on a Google search and those that I'm aware of in several posts, clubs, etc. The "procedures" are not solving the problem. Thanks for taking the time, though, to try and answer my question.
nomad103

Postby Rigil » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi Nomad,

You need to download and run Grauws editor tool.

http://www.grauw.nl/projects/gaia-tool/

Make sure the Gaia is switched on and the usb lead is connected to your computer.

Run Grauw's editor tool.

Then just copy and paste the patch Flute-01.gaia into the editor library.

Next, right click the patch and tell the editor to 'copy to temporary patch'

Hey presto the patch will installed on the Gaia. Save it into a temporary patch if you want to keep it.

Have fun, I'm not too sure that the Gaia is the best synth for orchestral sounds, but is certainly makes some nice pads.
Rigil

Postby nomad103 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you, Rigel. I was trying to connect the GAIA and the computer with my MIDI Interface. I see the compter port next to the USB port on the GAIA. I'll need to get a special cable to connect the GAIA to the computer and try again. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I liked the Micron by Alesis for orchestral sounds but they don't make it any more so I hope the GAIA can come close enough, mainly for flutes and strings. You're right about the pads, though: Awesome!
nomad103

Postby nomad103 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Just an update for you, Rigel. I bought the USB cable and Laurens' tool works great. I was in email communication with him and he did say this: Well actually it should also work through a regular MIDI connection... It should list the ports of your MIDI devices available in Windows, and you should be able to connect through that. But I was indeed going to suggest trying to connect the Gaia through USB, and see if that works. (The USB connection also sets up a virtual MIDI port btw, all communication between the Gaia and the tool is done via MIDI even when connected by USB.) So, I guess my MIDI cable is bad. Anyway, thanks again for your help.
nomad103

Return to General Discussion