Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Gaia going out of tune

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Gaia going out of tune

Postby nilis20 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi there,

I've had the Gaia for about 2 years now and a problem that I've had on and off for the last year or so (and one which seems to be getting worse) is that the pitch of the keyboard will suddenly dip about a semitone or two, seemingly at random, while I am playing it i.e. in the middle of a song the keyboard suddenly goes out of tune. If I change patch/banks or turn the keyboard off and on again it seems to reset it back to its right place, though even that option does not seem to be as effective as it was before – today it was changing all over the place as I played the same three notes over and over.

It is not limited to one patch/bank either and has happened with a variety of different patches. Sometimes the keyboard plays fine for weeks on end but then suddenly (and often at sound checks just before a gig!) it will act up again.

I have a suspicion that it might have something to do with the pitch/modulation bender as I used to use that quite a lot at the start, but I really can't be sure. I took the back off to have a look and there doesn't seem to be any material damage done to the bender wheel, none that I can see at least.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
nilis20

Re: Gaia going out of tune

Postby Grauw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Sounds like a hardware defect. Pitch bend lever is indeed a possibility, you could verify that theory by setting the pitch bend range to 0 in both directions (see manual page 45). If the problem disappears, it’s probably that.

I would send it in for repairs, no point in voiding your warranty by attempting a home-made fix. At least, if you live in the EU you should legally have at least 2 years of warranty, possibly more.
Grauw

Return to Technical Talk