Check out my new site: FreeDaBeat.com!

Cannot Get My USB Connection to Work

Ask questions and tell others how you work with the Roland Gaia. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Cannot Get My USB Connection to Work

Postby rob » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 am

OK, I know others have posted about this before, but I feel like my problem may be unique.

For almost a year, I have not been able to plug my Gaia into my computer with USB. If i do plug it in, the entire thing locks up as soon as you touch a key and it plays that note continuously. You have to shut it off to get it unlocked.

I have windows XP, cubase 5 (but it locks up whether i have my DAW open or not) and the latest driver from roland.

Anyone else run into this problem?
rob

Re: Cannot Get My USB Connection to Work

Postby Rigil » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:29 pm

No not experienced that problem. I'm using xp and the latest operating system v1.04, but also use a "Trust 10 Port Usb 2.0 Power Hub", because I was experiencing glitches with some of my other usb equipment. The hub is very low cost, so it might be worth a try.

I hope you can get it sorted out easily, because it's so easy to record using the usb interface.
Rigil

Postby rob » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Hmmm, I have a cheap USB 2 hub that I'll try. I thought it might be an XP thing, but I can at least rule that out now. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
rob

Postby Grauw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Yeah the GAIA’s USB connection can be a bit flaky, it is very sensitive. I think it may have trouble handling power fluctuations or certain USB handshake signals. For me it used to sometimes lock up when I turned off my computer. Turning it off and on again usually fixed the issue. Although lately I haven’t experienced that anymore, I know they fixed some USB-related issues in firmware 1.04:

Update history
[ Ver.1.04 ]

Improved the Power Save Mode so that it does not function while an arpeggio is performing.
Improved the behavior when shutting down a personal computer connected with SH-01 via USB.
* This does not guarantee that all personal computer will operate correctly with SH-01.

So I would recommend making sure you’ve installed the latest firmware. Also try different USB ports, or an external (powered) USB hub.
Grauw

Postby Grauw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 pm

See also this related thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141
Grauw

Return to Technical Talk